The Otters are the youngest official section of OSG scouting, for kids ages 5-7 (Kindergarten through 2nd grade). Every meeting and activity is done with all genders together and we encourage groups to have leaders of all genders so that scouts can see adults doing the tasks of scouting together. Otters learn useful family skills, community skills, and learn to play safely together while being introduced to scouting and preparing for the Timberwolf program.
The Otter Section is referred to as a “Raft” (much like the Timberwolf “Pack”) and the smaller units within the Raft are referred to as “Dens” (with the ideal number of children being 6–8 per Den).
The Otter Motto is “Busy and Bright“.
- Hat: Red baseball-style cap with the Otter Badge centered on the front.
- Shirt: Red jersey tee (OSG lists long sleeve, we have adapted to short-sleeve for the climate) with no collar.
- Shorts/Pants: Either long-style Khaki cargo pants or shorts preferred.
- Necker: 32″ square neckerchief of the group’s colors, worn with a ring or slide (“woggle”) at the throat
- Shoes: Closed toed, suitable shoes
For badge placement, please reference the BPSA Quick Uniform Reference .